"...suffering is one of the universal conditions of being alive. We all suffer. We have become terribly vulnerable, not because we suffer, but because we have separated ourselves from each other." -- Rachel Naoimi Remen

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My first Devotion

Written August 2012

It's the day after my second consecutive miscarriage and we are writing this book.  That's what I tell my husband, and so we start.  Because we need to be devoted.  A pregnancy and people trying to have a baby devotional - whether by adoption, surrogacy, personal pregnancy, fertility aids, however - because it's a struggle and no one knows, or seems to remember clearly, unless they are in it now.

And I don't say we need to be devoted as if we haven't been, or that our previous trails have somehow been punishment.  I say we need to be devoted because I know devotion will free me of stress and pressure, both of which I have too much of right now.  We need to "fix our eyes on You" (Hebrews 12:2) because "worry is wasteful and useless in times like these" (Jewel).  But, that is easier said than done; so we need to be devoted. 

Our prayer in writing this devotional is that we will be increasingly committed to Your Word, and it's good works from our favorite authors, and thereby share our struggles and strengths with friends we know who are challenged with the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment